Monday, December 27, 2010

See my sweatermals?!


See my sweatermals?!, originally uploaded by Captain Schlumpy.

One of my favorite "fabrics" to use for sewing is thrifted, wool sweaters. I'm always excited to see what they will look like after going through the fulling (felting) process. These little bears were a breeze to make and the recipient, my friend's adorable daughter, Kairi, enjoyed them! I used two different sweaters and safety eyes and hand appliqued the tummies and faces. I've already started a similar set for Kairi's brother.

3 comments:

Kate Pabst said...

These are so cute! I LOVE working with fulled wool sweaters too. They're so easy to work with and it's recycling! What do you use to stuff them with? I'm searching for the best eco-friendly option.

kate (from swap-bot)

Jennifer said...

Thank you! I'm working on a bunny pattern for all the kiddies in my life for easter. At the moment I use polyfil but I would like to switch over to using kapok which is plant based. I've also seen corn based (not a fan)and people using buckwheat hulls but kapok seems to be the softest. It's a little pricey though. they also make organic cotton stuffing and I know people who just stuff with undyed wool.

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

Blogspot Swap:

I love those little teddy bears you did. Recycling sweaters into things is amazing. I made cloth dolls now and then too but to recly is just great like you do. Nice blog.