Saturday, August 6, 2011

Making butter

It all started when I stopped by the grocery store on my way to work. I picked up some frozen egg rolls for lunch and figured I would go ahead and grab some heavy cream for my coffee (fattening and decadent!). I had to carry the cream from the store to work and then back home on the bus and two trains. When I opened the cream the next morning to put it in my coffee, it was lumpy! At first I thought it was bad but  quickly realized that I had agitated it enough that it was already starting to turn into butter.

 I grabbed an empty jelly jar and poured the cream into it. I also put a small stone in the jar (sanitized first!) although you can use a marble too. After that, it was just a matter of shaking, and shaking...and shaking! After about 30 minutes, the cream starts to get thicker and looks like this:
At this point I drained off some of the liquid and then...you guessed it, more shaking! Another 30 minutes and it was done! Larger amounts of cream will take longer to set up into butter. After you have achieved the consistency you want, just drain off the rest of the liquid, add salt or fresh herbs, and enjoy!

No comments: